A downloadable game for Windows
Develop the ultimate vaccine in Metavaxx, the world's first minesweeper shooter!
Train your own new vaccine in body samples, either by shooting down the virus agents hidden in infected cells, or by isolating those cells, only clearing the healthy cells around them. You win when there are only healthy cells OR only infected cells remaining. Your vaccine's progress depends on how many remaining cells of either type you managed to preserve.
This game features:
- 🔫 tight shooter action
- 🧩 classic minesweeper thinking
- 🤔 strategic decision making
- 👩🔬 roguelike gameplay elements
- 💪 25 different body samples to cure
- 🧬 20 unique upgrades to choose after each level
- 🥼 6 laboratories giving you a unique boost for your playthrough
- 🎲 randomized gameplay for considerable replayability
- 🎶 chiptune music by the amazing Pentadrangle
- 📝 name your own vaccine (and the game)
This game can be played either with keyboard & mouse or with a game controller. We recommend playing with keyboard and mouse.
- the arrows, or WASD, or the left stick of a controller, or the D-pad to move around.
- the mouse, or the right stick of a controller to aim and shoot.
- left-click, left-trigger, or (A) to confirm prompts.
- right-click, or (B) to use mines, after having unlocked them.
- P pauses the game.
This game was made by PUNKCAKE Délicieux, a game developping duo making and releasing a new game every month through Patreon and itch.io!
If you're press, check out our presskit!
Check out our Patreon subscription for advantageous offers and some more options!
Pentadrangle made the music for Metavaxx! He's also the musician behind the games Cyber shadow, Roof Rage, Spicy Piggy, VoidRun, Lords of Exile and more!
1.2d patch log
- fixed a very rare error on collision code
1.2c patch log
- fixed a bug where the game would fail to reset after shipping a vaccine not good enough to enter the hall of fame
- corrected "ship vaccines" to "ship vaccine"
1.2b patch log
- crosshair now always visible in-game when using a gamepad
- fixed version compatibility code
- fixed a crash on options caused by version compatibility code
1.2 patch log
- the Kerixxons laboratory is rebranding: now unlocks the chemical marker from the start!
- added Discord Rich Presence
- better volume controls in the options
- fixed leaderboard breaking if one entry had a price of 0
- fixed stretched rendering when screen fx was off
- fixed audio glitching out when closing the window
1.1e patch log
- FINAL FIX on that save issue, we swear it's working this time 😤
1.1d patch log
- unfocusing the game while in-game now pauses the game
- the shader effect now applies on the punkcake intro, the window doesn't close and open again after it anymore
- fixed save issues around starting a new game
- fixed an extremely rare crash on collision code
- fixed displayed patch number
1.1c patch log
- fixed sample infection cap back to 75%
1.1b patch log
- fixed malfunctioning fullscreen switch in the settings
- fixed evolutions carry-over after game over
1.1 patch log
- in-game escape key will pause instead of leaving
- pause is now only available in-game
- added a proper [ship vaccines / cancel project] button
- reworked ending sequence
- fluorine can't telport if stuck in mucus
- projectiles and mucus don't affect cloaked molecules anymore
- collisions with big molecules refined
- large nitrogen molecule speed cap
- reworked basophile behaviors: they now digest smaller molecules
- added option to deactivate shader
- punkcake intro and link added
- fixed a bug that let you restart vaccine with previous evolution
- fixed a bug that made the game crash when large molecules got stuck in cells
|Release date||69 days ago|
|Author||PUNKCAKE Délicieux 🥞|
|Tags||Arcade, chiptune, minesweeper, puzzle-shooter, Roguelite, science, Shoot 'Em Up, Twin Stick Shooter|
|Average session||About a half-hour|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Mouse, Xbox controller, Gamepad (any)|
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $6 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Beautiful game! I've been having discussions about minesweeper with my friend the last few days so as soon as I saw this we had to play it. The theming and visuals are really gorgeous, and I love the variation of minesweeper!
I have to agree that it would be much more enjoyable if I could mark infected cells as I went from the get go, maybe it could be an option to toggle?
Thank you for the wonderful game!
Edit: Saw a typo - "choose you laboratory" you > your
PUNKCAKE keep reinventing the shooter genre. This time they've crossed it with Minesweeper, and it's awesome. Loads of different baddies and upgrades, and there's a bit of a management sim going on in the background - it's not as simple as beating each level.. you have to pick your upgrades carefully and beat the system. The ability to unlock new factions makes this incredibly replayable.
hey! :) looks like a dope game and would love to play, but am on Mac. any plans to port it to Mac
Hi, we do plan to port all our games to Mac, and we're hoping to get it done before the end of the year, but we can't be any more precise than that for now.
so uh... the game crashed on me once, and now it refuses to launch...
hey, sorry about this. could you send us the log.txt and save.bnk files in the game folder to email@example.com?
if you don't mind losing your highscores and your current save, I have a feeling removing the save.bnk file from the folder will help the game function again.
I purchased this, but it is unplayable (displays with green lines) on my Thinkpad X1Y3. It seems to only support OpenGL. Will you please support software rendering? Perhaps with an alternative executable?
Wait, I finally figured out that the left mouse button is what selects menu options. Why? That seems like a poor design choice, especially since you do not provide a list of the default key bindings.
With that, I was able to fumble through the menu and select "FX SCREEN: OFF" and now the green lines are gone. I'd like to see the FX screen better supported, and also consider not having that be the default.
now this is what i call creative
Want to see Metavaxx in action? I played it on my channel... It's SO much fun!
Linux build coming?
Yes but not before a few months.
The game isn't working...
I tried the "compatibility mode" and Turned Off My antivirus but still.. Not working..
looks like I just wasted my money 🤷♂️
Hi, can you see a log.txt file in the game's files? If so, could you please send me its content at firstname.lastname@example.org? I may be able to help. If you don't see it than there's good chance it is indeed your anti-virus blocking it. It's possible that turning it off wouldn't be enough and that you'd have to add an exception for the game's executable instead.
Would it be possible to have the flagging upgrade require a keypress being held down to function? I/E having to hold Shift and then bump into a cell to flag it.
The fact that just touching a cell flags it, but you also bounce back when doing so makes tight corridors a pain to deal with with this upgrade.
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to get the game to even launch? I've tried re-downloading it, running it in compatibility mode, as administrator, and even tried to launch it through steam (via non-steam game feature), all it nets me is my computer thinking for a moment, then nothing, no windows pop up, no noticable changes in the resource monitor, just a few second of my cursor changing, then back to business as usual.
I'd really love to play this game, I saw Wanderbot playing on Youtbe, and instantly fell in love with the art, music, and gameplay. Any help on fixing the issue would be greatly appreciated!
Nvm, turns out my anti-virus didn't like the idea of an anti-viral game running x3 (was able to get it running by adding it as an exception to Avast, if anyone else is running into this issue)
This game is pretty fun, but I have a few points of feedback.
1: In the menus, why is Left Click the "enter" button instead of the "select this" button? I keep clicking on a thing to select it and end up entering the tile I had highlighted before.
2: It seems at least on my machine that the mouse controls are a little off-center. The aim direction assumes the player is a little down and to the right than where they actually are.
3: It might be ideal to let people mark cells as infected right from the start instead of it being an unlock. A bit of a quality of life improvement than anything else.
Other than that, this is a decently well-made project. Well done.
would it be possible to add an option that disables the crt post processing effect? i'm not sure if that's the cause, but i'm on windows vista and its running a bit slowly for me,,, sorry to disturb >_<
you are right to ask!! we're on it, there will be a small update soon! :)
it is so juicy :)