There needs to be a save game/load game feature for when you want to do other things but don't want to leave your computer running.
The Wratch's Den 👹
A downloadable game for Windows
OR get The Wratch's Den and our next monthly games with our Patreon Subscription for only 3€/mth!
Dig out a proper dungeon, grow your little villainous society, set up defences against heroes, and survive long enough to retrieve the Orbs of Infinite Power.
The Wratch has been defeated, they have gone into hiding with the pitiful remains of their army. Now it's up to you to dig out a proper base for The Wratch. You'll have to defend them against the heartless heroes come for easy prestige, and retrieve the 3 legendary Orbs of Infinite Power in order to come back out of the Den and crush human society once and for all.
This game features:
🔨 build your own villainous hide-out
👛 hire monsters, buy traps, research techs
👑 defend from heroes come to slay The Wratch
🔥 4 difficulty modes
🧱 a separate scoring/survival mode
⌛ 20-40 minutes sessions on average
🎲 randomized gameplay for considerable replayability
🎧 soundtrack by the amazing Pentadrangle
❓ heroes throw objects in the fountains
This game can be played either with a keyboard or a game controller. We rather recommend playing with a keyboard.
- the arrows, or the left stick or D-pad of a controller: move around, interact with adjacent tiles, navigate prompts
- the X key, or (A): use abilities, confirm prompts
- on keyboard, the space key: switch to the next minion
- on keyboard, ctrl + arrow: select minion according to coordinates
- on gamepad, left and right triggers: switch to previous and next minion
- escape or (back): go backwards when in menus, open the pause menu when in game
If you'd like you can come to our Discord to talk about the game, discuss strategies and/or get advice!
Of course it's also a very good place to get news of our next projects!
The game doesn't run!
If you're having trouble running the game please try the following things:
- Extract the game to a different location, like a new folder on your Desktop, and try running it from there.
- Add the game's executable to your antivirus' whitelist. Try launching the game now.
- Still not working? If you see a save.bnk file in the folder, open it with any text editor and replace its contents with this : "10:2:2:00000700070000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000", without the quotation marks. Save the file and try running it now.
- Still no luck? Please come get help on our Discord, or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and attach the 'log.txt' file from the game's folder if it exists.
If you're press, check out our presskit!
This game was made by PUNKCAKE Délicieux, a game developping duo making and releasing a new game every month through Patreon and itch.io!
Check out our Patreon subscription for advantageous offers and some more options!
Our dedicated composer is Pentadrangle! He's also the musician behind the games Cyber shadow, Roof Rage, Spicy Piggy, VoidRun, Lords of Exile and more! Check out his Bandcamp and follow him on Twitter!
1.1c patch notes:
- Added back misplaced ending music intro (it used to be just the loop part of the track playing)
- Made it possible to start the game without using openGL at all, see instructions above in the "The game doesn't run" section.
1.1b patch notes:
- Fixed crash on using the smithy.
1.1 patch notes:
- Fixed a bug where the orb could be mixed up with an item upon entering the throne room, enabling a premature win.
- Ninjas and ghosts can now properly interact with special tiles in rooms.
- Ninjas and ghosts have been forbidden to forge pickaxes, as that would be problematic.
- Goblins' tiles and items brought to school will no longer be confiscated upon graduation.
- The goblin tamer formation now includes a task separation course teaching them not to call the wolves when dropping an item.
- Stopped wandering entities to pile up on tiles where there are already two other entities, which would push the oldest entity on that square into a frightening liminal space between states of being where they would be drawn but never again updated. (similar to a constant state of sleep paralysis if you will)
- Swap control prompts will now go away if you ignore them for long enough and use the other swap controls instead.
- Made it impossible for room descriptions to be partially off-screen.
- Giving up in expansion mode will now trigger the score counting sequence.
- Added back misplaced description for the vampire: they do steal enemy HPs.
- Now displaying difficulty and how many in-game years it took to win the run in the ending screen.
- You can now fast-forward through the ending screen with the action key.
- Corrected a few typos.
- Default window size is now smaller.
- Shader can now properly be deactivated from the options. (no visual difference but may affect performences either way depending on your setup - in doubt, we recommend leaving it on)
|Updated||23 days ago|
|Release date||38 days ago|
|Author||PUNKCAKE Délicieux 🥞|
|Tags||8-Bit, Atmospheric, dungeon-keeper, Fantasy, Management, PICO-8, Pixel Art, Roguelike, Singleplayer, Turn-based|
|Average session||About a half-hour|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Gamepad (any)|
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $6 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
An automatic save function (after every turn) would be appreciated so that you don't get punished for being too skillful or lucky the longer the runs go (and they can get too lengthy too often for one sitting).
Also, an automatic version check would be appreciated as well (similar to that of Slice & Dice) so that you can be certain without much of a fuzz that you're on the latest build.
What engine is the game written on?
Yes! Definitely yes, it's a fun experience. $ 6 is like a cup of coffee at Starbucks. So I didn’t regret the $ 6 for this game at all.
Fun game. I wish I had thought of it. Just finished Nightmare mode. My 9 year old daughter beat it on easy. What a gem! I'm glad I saw it on Splattercat.
But you should add mouse support a.s.a.p!
Bugs/Gripes post-patch 1.1 so far:
-No save function
-All anvil improvement for a unit is reset when a unit is trained
-Random anvil upgrades
-No surefire way to choose from all the classes from the school, retrain, or sacrifice units to get a certain class within the current spawn limit
-Units sacrificed on the dark altar do not vacate the spawn pool, and may not be replaced
-Worldwide unit upgrades don't apply to units that spawn after the upgrade purchase
Lastly, I want to say thanks to the developers for this is a fantastically fun game! It's downright scary how much time disappears when I play it.
Excellent, but absolutely NEEDS a savegame function of some sort...
And make sure to do it for both gamemodes!
Hello devs, this is a really cool looking game, its aesthetics and mechanics look pretty fun, looks kind of short too but I still wanna play it, Is there any Steam release date planned?
Keep the good work :D
Cheers! We do plan on releasing this game on Steam before the end of the year but no precise date as of yet. But if you purchase it here you will get a Steam key when it does get on there!
I do am eager to buy this one, but I have a problem with the payment, I don't have an international credit card and since I'm from Brazil it's quite complicated to pay itch.io with R$(brazillian real), Steam on the other hand accepts any cash already making the conversion, still, don't worry cause I'll have this one in my pixel art collection on the realease :3
This reply was all I needed to buy the game here. Looking forward to that Steam key in the future and to playing this in the time being! Thanks!
When trying to execute the game, it does not work, the log has this error message:
'Could not open 'map.bnk'. No such file or directory'
Any recommendation on how to fix it?
That's very curious, can you see a 'data.sgr' file in the game's folder? If not, you need to download the game again I think, that file needs to be there. Oh also you do need to extract the zip file's contents into a new folder before launching the game in there, you can't launch the game directly from the zip file, maybe that's your issue?
Otherwise, maybe try moving the game's folder to another location and launch it from there? Please let us know if any of these things work.
I extracted everything, and try several folders, the data.sgr is there, in the log you can see 'Opened dat 'data.sgr'. with 28 blocks.'
My antivirus says it is infected with malware.....
We need to figure out how to make antiviruses trust our games but in the meantime you'll have to let your antivirus know the executable is safe yourself. FWIW we're not putting malwares in our games, that would be a pretty bad business practice.
You have a gem here but its definitely unpolished. I beat all the different difficulty levels and even played around on the endless mode and I only bought this roughly 8 hours ago. $6.00 for 8 hours of gameplay is a bit of a letdown. What this game really needs is some rougelite elements imo. Make it so when you get the three orbs the wratch teleports to another area and give a run-permanent powerup. Make hard and nightmare a lot harder but throw in achievement locked permanent upgrades so we need to grind a bit to get strong enough to face them. Love the game but I was left seriously needing more.
this can't be a serious comment, right?
Nah, I'm just an anthropomorphized space squid trolling random comment sections to mess with humans and observe their responses. The galactic zygomats appreciate your contribution to science.
Woke Garbage! Make your game free or stop it with your anti capitalism crap!
This looks really cool. Any chance for a linux version?
Yes! We'll be trying to make it happen before the end of the year!
I was sucked into Wratch's Den by the Dungeon Keeper-inspired graphics, but found a totally different game when I fired it up. Not disappointed at all; it's a fantastic experience. Fans of nitty-gritty tactical games (like me) will love it.
While obviously inspired by Dungeon Keeper, it's a totally different game. It's not a builder at all, it's actually a time-based tactical game. And it's loads of fun. 4 difficulty settings and an endless loop survival mode give this game pretty good mileage. Could use a little more love - some balance tweaking in particular - but it's in very good shape as-is.
Punkcake keep knocking it out of the park with their games. The Wratch's Den is a casual dungeon keeper like game. I played it as part of the itch.io vault:
Amazing game! Would love a save option for "Expansion" mode!
How do I fire arrows for ranged attack with my archer?
ranged minions attack automatically when they are aligned with enemies and you use turns with another minion.
Saving for it!
Hi, amazing game :D
I have one question. If I buy this game on itch.io, will I receive a free steam key once it comes out there or will I have to buy it again?
Yes if you buy it here you will get a Steam key when the game gets on there. Same thing if you get the game through our Patreon subscription. :)
Just watched Nookrium play this on youtube and it was fantastic! I will be picking this up next time I have time to play something. Great work, guys!
This game is awesome. The game sessions are short, but you have to actually think a lot in them. There is a lot of strategies to learn as you play over and over again!
10/10, would build my own dungeon again.
I really love this so far. I think I'm really bad at it? But it's too fun to be put down by how much I let down the Wratch.
Great fun! I really love how this is the ultimate base builder for those of us who HATE building sims. I really like how the addition of each room is auto-located for me, so I not only need to choose what cool new room to add but if I'm okay with where Wratch wants to put it as there could be a case that I'd really like to add Room X but as I'm not cool on where Wratch wants to place it, I'll need to go with Room Y. Even the workers aren't freely making hallways as much as uncovering passages that already exist