I'm so blown away by this game!! It's wonderfully simple yet so very addicting and fun! It has elements I adore from other games like Binding of Isaac, yet its own style of 'combat' and the items are so charming! I can't say how much I loved this enough! :D (My only suggestion if you plan on making this a bigger game is more bosses!! I know the technical plot is the mouth, nose, eyes to make up the bigger boss... but if there were more bosses and different 'mega' bosses that would be SO cool!)
MOONPONG: Tales of Epic Lunacy 🌕
A downloadable game for Windows
Roguelite Pong'em up where you go to rescue the Moon.
Due to extreme climate catastrophies the Moon has started moving away from the Earth. Fortunately the NASA was expecting this. They quickly launched the "Moon Paddle" program, with hopes of controlling the Moon's trajectory. The climate is decidedly fucked, but we might yet bring back the Moon.
A crazy psychedelic action-roguelite based on the grandparent of all video games, Pong.
Controls and Accessibility:
The game can be played with either a mouse or a game controller, though a game controller is preferred. Whichever controls you use, the game can completely be played one-handed.
It features 4 different difficulties, from the beginner-friendly "easy" mode to the unlockable hardcore "lunatic" mode.
On top of this, the game features a couple of accessibility settings:
- Change the parameters of the animated background to make it slower, dimmer and/or remove the flashing
- Set how much you want the game to help you with the controls with the integrated Paddle Assist
- Set the maximum speed of the ball
- Change the overall game speed
- Allow unlocks in easy mode
- Set hats for the Moon and for the mouse cursor, to make them more visible
We hope this allows for more players to enjoy the game!
Buying the game here on Itch io will get you a free Steam key!
If you'd like you can come to our Discord to talk about the game and share your progress and talk advice with other players!
Of course it's also a very good place to get news of our next projects!
Are you press or a content creator?
If you're a streamer, youtuber, or press and you'd like to cover the game, we've uploaded a few assets you might find useful, including screenshots and thumbnail material! Find them here!
The game doesn't run!
If you're having trouble running the game please try the following things:
- Extract the game to a different location, like a new folder on your Desktop, and try running it from there.
- Add the game's executable to your antivirus' whitelist. Try launching the game now.
- In the game's folder, open 'settings.txt' and change "SHADER = true" to "SHADER = false". Try now.
- Still no luck? Please come get help on our Discord, or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and attach the 'log.txt' file from the game's folder if it exists.
This game was made by PUNKCAKE Délicieux, a small team making and releasing a new game every month through Patreon and itch.io!
Check out our Patreon subscription for advantageous offers and some more options!
- Accessibility settings "reset to defaults" now also resets shop exit pause duration
- Fixed initial slider position for game speed in settings
- Fixed setting text for mouse cursor hat
- No longer ignoring master volume while fading out the music on quitting the game
- Game speed is correctly re-set after boss deaths
- Added mention of the hats in the instructions prompt
- Removed the [tab] dev key, which used to restart the game with no warning
- Heavily reworked difficulty scaling on loops.
- Added 6 new items.
- Changed the pause timing on exiting shops.
- Added an extra pause on exiting shop, which can be changed or removed in the accessibility settings.
- Added hat options for the Moon and the mouse cursor to make them more visible.
- Defeating a boss now briefly pauses the game, on Sakurai's wonderful advice.
- Drills no longer affect bosses.
- Fixed a collision bug between paperplanes and some enemies, including all bosses.
- Fixed a bug where the title screen music would be slow after losing a run.
- Fixed the inaction check on the title screen. Now goes back to the newspaper after 30 seconds of actual inaction, resets if you press a button.
- Fixed Lunatic item unlock
- Fixed a bug where feedmies would duplicate the Moon
- All enemies will die after the boss dies, including enemies that were previously in a feedmie's belly
- Allowed more spawns in loops and tweaked the values so that bosses would appear closer to 100% of completion of the level
- Fixed the nose direction on the final boss
- The title screen will now automatically go back to the newspaper after a full minute of inaction (you can also press escape to go back to the newspaper, but that was already there, but it seemed nobody tried, so there now it's automatic you don't have to do anything, read the news folks, get informed)
- Restored missing paddle bounce sounds
- Fixed a misalignment issue for analog sticks on controller
- Paused life regeneration while in shops
- Minor bugfixes
- Fixed a possible crash on the accessibility menu
v0.99 Demo release!
|Release date||Aug 15, 2022|
|Authors||PUNKCAKE Délicieux 🥞, Rémy 🍬 Devaux|
|Tags||Arcade, Atmospheric, Breakout, climate, moon, Pixel Art, psychedelic, Retro, Roguelike, Roguelite|
|Average session||About a half-hour|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Mouse, Xbox controller, Gamepad (any)|
|Links||Patreon, Twitter, YouTube, Community|
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $6 USD. Your purchase comes with a Steam key. You will get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
how do i claim my steam key?
If you go to the game's download page, you should have a button there to claim your Steam key!
Oh hey I saw the VTuber Kaela from Hololive play this. Definitely on my wishlist now!
Moonpong is very nice game, i will give a warning to those who have epilepsy though, that's all
This game is very customizeable, you can make things more muted and make the animations of the backgrounds slower or even take them out completely, as long as you go into settings before you start and tune things to your preferred style, nobody should have a problem playing this.
MOONPONG is a superb modern (and solo) iteration of classic pong gameplay. Bendy circles, gravity, ice and cloud balls, a range of upgrades, enemies that shoot back, and even bosses. Very challenging and very fun. As always with PUNKCAKE games, the pixel graphics and retro soundtrack are perfect!
Hello!! What programming language do use to make this game :?
I really hope that there's support for rotary controllers, like spinners or dials or DJ decks, because that feels extremely appropriate for a paddle game like this. *^*
I LOVE the OST, please release it soon <3 thanks
EDIT: Got it on Bandcamp, thank you so much
Hi, quick question, if I get the game by subcribing on patreon, will I receive an steam key as well? Or steam keys are restricted to purchases on itch.io?
a Steam release is planned?
Moonpong: Tales of Epic Lunacy is a wonderful homage to pong that asks the question... What if pong? But roguelite?
The answer is a wonderfully vibrant game that is popping candy for the mind